Wednesday 9 February 2011

It's a crime that we ever let it go

-
Late to another cracking party. Weep. I have to admit that I rather lost track of Film School after their (rather brilliant) self-titled debut album was released back in early 2006 on the Beggars Banquet label. However, thanks to a wee bit of, erm, last.fm stalking, I am now catching up in a somewhat furious manner. 'Fission', their latest long-player release, came out in August 2010 on the Hi Speed Soul label and it's a stunning album, from beginning to end. The sound is coherent but also full of surprises, at times sounding like early Lush ('Sunny Day', 'Nothing's Mine') and at other times a more melodic, more indie, and well, more masculine, The Organ ('When I'm Yours', 'Bones'). I do hope they can manage to tour this record over in Europe. It really deserves to be heard live, for sure. It's so difficult to select just one track from twelve, but this one stands out for me, mostly for the ultra-shoegazy feel and the close-to-the-fucking-bone lyrics. It's a very School of Seven Bells sound as well, in a way. The other close contender was 'Meet Around 10', as it has a fucking staggering closing two and a bit minutes. Anyway, I'm happy to 'hands up' here and admit to being late to the 2010 Film School party, but I'm just so glad I made it along in the end. I tell you, we should thank our stared-at-shoes that music as good as this is still being made, released and, of course, bought. Brilliant stuff.
-
Film School - 'Time to listen' (3.55)
-
Cinematic soundtracks available right here. Buy the album here (UK download).
-

No comments:

Post a Comment