Wednesday 1 December 2010

If you want a guarantee buy a toaster



-
Like you hiding in the corner, and you, skulking quietly with big open eyes near the fire, wondering what happens next, I'm a firm believer (after first picking myself off the kitchen floor) in the idea that there is a perfect soundtrack for every extraordinary moment in life, every misplaced swollen footstep, every half heartbeat that misses a tiny jump in the snowstorms we encounter as we go about our day-to-day rituals and presentations of self. And I have found, through frustrating trial and continual error, that little else can beat Jandek and Danny Saul in scoring that soundtrack. Especially when the latter covers the former, in such a measured, composed and beautiful way. Sigh. I should also say, for the record, that the late Aaron Stout is a very close second. But what would Hallam Foe say?
-
Jandek - 'I'm ready' (5.42)
Danny Saul - 'I'm ready' (Jandek cover) (4.26)
Aaron Stout - 'Story of my life' (3.53)
-
You can listen to some of Danny Saul's music at this old stomping ground. Jeeps. So early 2000s. You can also buy Danny's new album here (it just came out on Monday) and I'd encourage you to do so, promptly.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment